Other mosaic-related websites
- L'Association International pour l'Étude de la Mosaïque Antique (AIEMA): ASPROM's parent organisation, which provides resources for scholars working on ancient mosaics, including a series of conferences and a regular Bulletin with comprehensive bibliographic listings.
- Association francophone pour l'étude de la mosaïque antique (AFEMA): the Francophone branch of AIEMA.
- L'Associazione Italiana per lo Studio e la Conservazione del Mosaico (AISCOM): our sister organisation in Italy.
- AIEMA North America, covering the US and Canada.
- International Committee for the Conservation of Mosaics (ICCM); there is also useful material on the ICCM Facebook page.
- The British Association for Modern Mosaic (BAMM)
- The Society of American Mosaic Artists (SAMA)
- The Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society
- L'Association International pour la Peinture Murale Antique (AIPMA): an association that brings together scholars working on ancient wall painting, through a series of conferences and a regular bulletin, Apelles, with bibliographic listings.
- The Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies
- The Association for Roman Archaeology
- The Council for British Archaeology
- The Roman Research Trust: a charitable trust that supports research and education in Romano-British archaeology, including the David J. Smith Mosaic Archive at the Institute of Classical Studies in London.
Roman mosaics in Britain
Visit our Mosaics in Britain page for links to the official webpages of British museums and archaeological sites with mosaics.
- Woodchester Great Pavement: digitised versions of an important set of drawings of the Woodchester mosaic, made when it was re-excavated in 1880.
- Newton St Loe Orpheus Mosaic: read the story of how the mosaic was found, then lost, then found and lost again, and eventually tracked down and reconstructed by Anthony Beeson, with help from ASPROM.
- Roman mosaics in Dorchester: excellent photos of one of the most important collections of Roman mosaics in the UK, from the Joy of Shards.
Ancient mosaics outside Britain
- Mosaïque romaine de la Méditerranée: virtual exhibition of Roman mosaics from around the Mediterranean, with high-quality images
- Mosaics from Antioch in the Baltimore Museum of Art. For some background information about the excavations at Antioch and the transfer of the mosaics to Baltimore, see Antioch Mosaics at the Baltimore Museum of Art.
- Zeugma: Roman mosaics rescued from the rising waters of a new dam on the Euphrates.
- The Lod Mosaic: website documenting a fine mosaic of the third century AD, found at Lod in Israel in 1996.
- Stories in Stone: website accompanying the exhibition of North African mosaics at the Getty Villa in Malibu.
- Terra Antiqua: site devoted to Roman perceptions of landscape, with a large gallery of mosaics and paintings.
- Roman and Byzantine mosaics: an extensive collection of photos by Galen R. Frysinger, including mosaics from Piazza Armerina, Tunisia, Morocco and Cyprus.
- Roman Mosaics in Greece: articles by Alexandra Kankeleit, with lots of pictures.
- The Composition of Byzantine Glass Mosaic Tesserae: international research network based at the University of Sussex and funded by the Leverhulme Trust, which brings together scientists, archaeologists and art historians. The project has produced a database of sites with Byzantine wall mosaics, a bibliography of scientific publications about glass mosaics, and a useful glossary of mosaic glass terms, in English, Italian and French (pdf file, 110 K).
- Southeast Europe Mosaics: project to promote the conservation of mosaics in Albania, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslav states.
Conservation of mosaics
- MOSAIKON: a project to develop a regional strategy for the conservation of mosaics in the Mediterranean, co-ordinated by the Getty Conservation Institute.
- Conservation of Mosaics in Situ: Getty Conservation Institute research project, looking at ways to preserve mosaics without lifting them; includes a list of related publications, with links to those available online.
- Getty Conservation Institute Newsletter 21.1 (Spring 2006): special issue on mosaic conservation.
- Illustrated Glossary: Mosaics In Situ Project: a glossary of terms for recording the condition of mosaics in situ, developed by the Getty Conservation Institute and the Israel Antiquities Authority (pdf file, 1.5 MB).
- Mosaic Matters: the online magazine for all things mosaic.
- Joy of Shards Mosaic Resource: guidelines for making your own mosaics, and photo galleries of ancient and modern mosaics in Europe.
- Mosaics on the New York Subway: wonderful modern mosaics commissioned to brighten up the subway; also pictures of the original nineteenth- and early twentieth-century mosaic decoration of the stations in the line by line guide and abandoned stations page.
This page is maintained by Ruth Westgate, who welcomes suggestions for (non-commercial) links. Last modified 11 January 2023.